Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yes, politics affect me

Growing up, I always knew I was lucky. I had two hard working parents. They encouraged me to be who I wanted to be, they taught me to question everything I hear, they taught me character. They taught me about freedom. They were strict and though I didn't always agree with them, I thought I understood their rules were because they loved me. As an adult and a mother, I grossly underestimated them. I don't recall too many specific instances where these values were discussed but I know they made me who I am today and for that I am eternally thankful. 

I always knew that I felt passionately about the people that protect us and keep us safe. I have always been passionate about the freedoms we enjoy in this country. I never felt passionately about politics though. I just always knew that politicians as a whole are not trustworthy. Then I lived through September 11, 2001 and the bubble that I lived in was gone. I started paying attention. I never realized how much people in OTHER parts of the world affect me. It saddens me when I hear people say that politics don't affect them or that they aren't "into" politics. HOW? That clean water you drink, that paycheck you get, that opinion you just voiced to the whole world, that car you drive, every part of our daily lives are affected by politics in one way or another. I have known that for years now, but until recently, I never realized how passionate I am about it. 

This is why I am a right wing conservative: 

I believe in helping those who are in need, but I believe there is a difference in UNABLE and UNWILLING
I believe we reap what we sew. If you WANT it, you should EARN it.
I believe in work hard, play hard, not play hard and hardly work.
I don't consider myself religious, but I have Christian values, like the 10 Commandments. I believe in God and I talk to him often. 
I believe in, and will defend, freedom. That means freedom for everybody. 
I believe freedom should not an excuse for ignorance. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to be disrespectful, for example. 
I believe that veterans should be first in line to receive "entitlements" as they have earned them and if there were no veterans, there would be no freedom or entitlements. 
I believe children should be taught HOW to think for themselves. 
I believe children should be disciplined to they learn consequences. 
I believe success should be REWARDED. 
I believe we are all equal, but we are not all the same. 
I believe criminals should be treated as such. 
I believe I have not only the right, but the OBLIGATION to protect myself and my family from harm. 
I believe in the pursuit of happiness, it's not a given. 
I believe people should grow into productive members of society.
I believe in capitalism and the free market. 
I believe that people can disagree and still respect each other if both sides are LOGICAL, but if you are unable to back up your argument, then don't question mine. 

If this makes me an "extremist" then so be it. Let them label me however they want. After all, if you don't have any enemies, you've probably never stood up for anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment