Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Divided, We Fall

I have been doing a lot of soul searching and talking to as many people as possible lately. I truly believe there is something we can do to get our country back on track. There is more than just writing to our elected officials. I am still waiting for that moment when I have some awesome idea, but I do think I understand our biggest obstacle.

I am very conservative in my political views. I am guilty of the "liberal bashing". I think everybody has the right to be opinionated, but I think those opinions need to have some substance, maybe facts to back them up?

Here is the number one reason our country is going to fail if we do not change it: We are divided. When did our country become right vs. left? That is not what our founding fathers wanted, they wanted One Nation, with We the People. We have become "we the people" and "we the other people". My mom pointed it out during the presidential debates this year. Obama's entire speech was "us" and "them". THIS is the problem.

As much as I think Obama is horrible for our country, we need to take responsibility. We put him in the White House. Twice. Yes, I know this election was stolen, I did not vote for him, I know most of the people reading this did not vote for him. But what did we do to open people's eyes? I complained and I argued my points, but I didn't truly try to get to the bottom of things. And while I really wanted Romney to beat Obama, Romney wasn't my first choice for president either, he was the lesser of two evils. I had discussions with Libertarian friends on that subject and I agreed with their views to vote for other candidates, I felt like I needed to vote for Romney to defeat Obama. Either way, that is all over. Now it is time to move forward. We need to make changes BEFORE the next election, not 6 months before the next election, we need to take action now.

I will be writing to congress on the issues that are most important to me. I encourage everybody to do the same. I will be writing to Hollywood and the media to stop glorifying violence. I encourage everybody to do the same. I think the electoral college needs to be changed. I personally, don't see a need for it anymore. I think it served its purpose before the technology was there, but I think it is out dated.

My biggest problem with politics is the 2 party system. I do not agree with either side 100%. I do not understand why we have 50 candidates for Miss America and 2 for the most powerful person in the world? That doesn't seem logical. Maybe we don't need 50, but perhaps 4 choices?

I thought this country was meant to be "we the people," but how is that possible if only the rich and famous can run for office? I want an average (intelligent) American to represent me. I want the same for congress. When did politics become a career? After 10 or 20 years in Washington, how can those people claim to have OUR best interests in mind? They can't relate to us! I want POLITICAL REFORM, and I think everything else will fall into place.

Congress should not be able to exempt themselves from ANY law they pass for the American people. PERIOD. Congress should not be able to vote for their own raises. PERIOD.

If these changes are ever going to happen, we have to stop playing the "us" vs. "them" game. This is our freedom at stake. This is our way of life, people have fought and died for us! It is time we honor their sacrifices and stand up, united, as one nation. "We the people" doesn't mean right or left, it means, we the people, as in ALL of us. Lets put some of the smaller differences aside and come together for the good of all of us and reform the biggest failure in this country, the politicians. The government has no reason to care what any American wants, because we are so divided that they do not take us seriously. We are all so busy worried about our agendas, that there aren't enough people noticing that Washington has their own agenda.

United we stand, divided we fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment